Hey friends, consider this list your summer bucket list. I am creating this because I was asked in Instagram QnA about my bucket list and I thought about how little effort I usually put into curating a bucket list for me. So I will try to create bucket lists for almost each season now. So now that summer is around the corner, i am creating one for summer 2021.
Raise your hand if you wait all year for summer! Even though school might be long behind you and work doesn’t stop just because it hits the month of June, it still feels like summer break is a time when things slow down and life is injected with a bit more ease.
If I’ve learned anything over the years, it’s that chasing “happy” feelings is totally pointless. Happy is elusive. I’ve made the mistake more times than I can count – thinking a major goal, a different relationship, or a new-and-improved me would be what brings happiness. None of that is the case. Joy doesn’t come from a huge win or achievement. It doesn’t come from a perfect and adventurous summer vacation. We don’t feel big happy feelings all the time (Oh, and stressed or anxious feelings aren’t actually the enemy). Joyful moments are made in tiny choices. Which means we have to tune back into them and look for little ways to chase our own happiness, rather than holding out for huge sweeping outcomes.
What better time than now to get into that habit? Make your summer about the tiny things that can bring you even more joy. Here are some places to start:
1. Read a Great book. There’s so many. Just search best sellers Books on Amazon and choose your next read.
2. Impromptu detours. Maybe go the long way. It’ll change up your perspective and take you off of autopilot.
3. Smell the flowers. Just stop and look at these tiny beautiful things. You’re sure to smile.
4. Fireflies. If you’re near them, there’s just nothing better.
5. Dance in your kitchen. To your old, favorite song. Or to your new favorite. You’ll feel the joy when you move your body.
6. Change your phone screen saver. Maybe it’s the photo of a loved one or a place that brings you such good memories. Change it up.
7. Journal your gratitude. Because gratitude begets abundance and the best way to feel joy is to remember all the moments that are rich with love.
8. Eat outside on a blanket. Picnic style!
9. Go on a walk. Whether it’s early in the morning if it’s already super hot, or a nighttime stroll, getting some fresh air will rejuvenate you.
10. Reorganize. Your wallet. Your closet. Your purse. Your pantry. Make something a little more orderly.
11. Text someone you’ve been thinking about. Because they’ve probably been thinking about you.
12. Watch a sunrise (or sunset). These are mother nature’s great light shows.
13. Make something. Art. A new recipe. A doodle in your journal.
14. Pay it forward. One of the greatest ways we can fill ourselves up is to give what we have away.
15. Take a bath. And light a candle.
16. Hit up a museum. There’s so much art, history, and beauty in local museums. You’ll find so much perspective there.
17. Sit under a tree. Just do it.
18. Smile at a stranger. I dare you not to feel a little spike of happiness from doing this.
19. Have coffee in bed. Because long and lazy mornings are the best.
20. Hold onto a hug a little longer. We all need it sometimes.
21. Facetime someone you love. There’s nothing like actually seeing the smiles of the ones you care about.
22. Send a handwritten card or letter. You’ll love doing it and you’ll be spreading the joy.
Remember, joy is found in the moments. Make as many tiny moments as you can this summer, and you’ll have a season full of so much goodness.